The A.W. Campbell Conservation Area was purchased from the estate of Mr. Archie Campbell in 1967. The purchase included 126 hectares of land and the Campbell family home. The house was built in 1867, and now serves as the Campbell House Museum. Visitors to the Museum can learn about family life in the early 1900’s.

Map of A.W. Campbell Conservation Area
Map of A.W. Campbell Conservation Area
The Conservation Area features naturally beautiful forested uplands and floodplains. Murrough Creek, a tributary of the Sydenham River, flows through the site. A small reservoir exists for canoeing and fishing, and hikers enjoy the many nature trails that wander through the property. There are also 140 campsites, and schoolchildren learn natural history, geology, and biology through the SCRCA’s outdoor education program, which uses the site.

Conservation Areas rely on the help of volunteers to provide important services to the community. At A.W. Campbell, the Friends of Campbell House Museum help to operate the Museum. The Friends of Campbell plan programs for campers and visitors, and raise funds for new projects.

page 1 of 2 next page>